Friday, November 22, 2013

Stunning Budapest in a Timelapse



I came across this stunning video of one of my favorite cities.

My family is from Hungary originally and I still have family in Budapest.   Going back again would be a wonderful time for me again.   If you don’t know anything about this very lovely interesting city then you really should.  Here is a very basic summary of some highlights about this city.

The beginnings of this interesting city go back to the ancient Aquinicum settlement.  The Roman ruins are open to visitors and are located about 20 minutes by train outside the city.   Budapest was formally founded as the city we know today in 1873 and it is the largest city in Hungary. It is one of the largest and most beautiful cities in the European Union and the world.   Conde Nast Traveler rated it as the number two their recent best cities in the world article. UCityGuides named this city number nine in their Most Beautiful Cities of the World article.   

Budapest was the second capital to Vienna in the Austro-Hungarian Empire.  The two cities are about a pleasant 5 hour drive apart which I did when there last time.
Another name for Budapest is “the Paris of the East”.  I can see why people call it that after having been to Paris.   It’s a very livable city of over 202 square miles and 1.7 million residents.

In reality it is comprised of two cities really, Buda and Pest divided by the not so blue Danube River.  The Buda section of the city has Castle Hill where a very large castle, Buda Castle, which sits up on the hillside overlooking the Danube River built in 1265.   I toured the castle and the whole settlement surrounded it quite some time ago.   The frescoes on the walls there are the same but touched up as over 700 years ago.  Take my word for this, if you are sensitive to smells you may not want to go down into the original wine cellar up on Castle Hill.   


I look forward to my next visit to Hungary and Budapest. You need to add this interesting city to your must see list!

Ciao for now!




No comments:

Post a Comment